Posted on 28/04/2023
The Indian School of Public Policy, Delhi’s first post graduate public policy academic institution, invites nominations and applications for the position of Dean. It seeks a visionary and ambitious leader as its chief executive and academic head.
Indian School of Public Policy (ISPP) was launched in October 2018 with the objective of democratising public policy education and engagement in India and helping build policy capacity at various levels of government, business and public interest organisations. We develop policy professionals with the knowledge, skills, wisdom and ethics to understand, design and implement local solutions to India's enduring policy and governance challenges. It is a Section 8 not-for-profit company with a campus at Hauz Khas, near IIT Delhi.
ISPP has five different education streams. It is building an ambitious Case Study Centre to develop Indian public policy cases for education and training. ISPP Policy Review is a pioneering scholar-led journal in India.
- ISPP's flagship programme is the full-time one-year Post Graduate Programme in Public Policy titled Policy, Design & Management. In partnership with the Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago, ISPP Scholars also receive a Certificate in International Development & Public Policy.
- LokNeeti is a hybrid 16-week programme for working professionals, of which 3+3 days are in person, with synchronous online evening classes for the rest of the period.
- In partnership with L&T EduTech, ISPP has developed a MOOC titled ‘Public Policy for Young Professionals’ to reach out to college students and young professionals across disciplines.
- To help build policy capacity in the corporate sector, ISPP has crafted bespoke executive education programmes for India’s leading business groups.
- ISPP is also partnering the central and various state governments to build state capacity. The Capacity Building Commission (CBC), Government of India, signed a Knowledge Partnership with ISPP to develop training programmes for the Union government officers. Similar partnerships are also signed with state governments. ISPP’s Case Study Centre is also writing for CBC 30 case studies under 'Innovations in Public Administration.'
Applicants should submit, by May 15, 2023, the following two documents in separate PDFs:
- A detailed curriculum vitae.
- A letter of interest describing why you are interested in the role, why you would be successful based on your professional experience, and your commitment to teaching and training, research and advisory(1500-2500 words)
Dean Search Committee Members:
Dr Pronab Sen, Chairperson, Dean Search Committee and Interim Director, ISPP
Dr Bhaskar Chakravorti, Dean of Global Business, The Fletcher School, Tufts University
Mr Govind Iyer, Chairperson, Social Venture Partners India and Former Partner, Egon Zehnder
Dr Krishna Ladha, Professor, ISPP
Dr Maya Tudor, Associate Professor of Government and Public Policy, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford
Dr Nimai Mehta, Professorial Lecturer, American University
Dr Pramath Sinha, Founder & Chairman, Harappa Education and Founder& Trustee, Ashoka University
Dr Shiben Banerji, Associate Professor, University of Chicago Dean Selection Committee Members:
Mr Luis Miranda, Chairperson, Dean Selection Committee and Chairperson & Co-Founder, ISPP
Dr Parth J Shah, Director and Co-Founder, ISPP and Founder, Centre for Civil Society
Dr Shekhar Shah, Director, ISPP and Former Director-General, National Council of Applied EconomicResearch
Dr Shubhashis Gangopadhyay: Founding Dean, ISPP
Dr Susan Mayer, Professor Emeritus and Former Dean, Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago
Please send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Pronab Sen, Interim Director, at email@example.com
Dr Shubhashis Gangopadhyay at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Parth J Shah at email@example.com
Mr Luis Miranda at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Dean has three functions:
- Academic management: Design curricula; allocate and manage the faculty; develop the academic calendar for courses and workshops; decide on the mode of delivery of content in the courses and workshops and their assessment plans; monitor academic integrity and rigour; confer diplomas and issue certificates and be responsible for student recruitment, their academic progress and their placement; be responsible for ethical conduct of all curricular and research work.
- Programme management: Oversee the management of the people in the various programmes (including students, faculty and non-faculty staff); maintain synergies across the programmes in a way that differentiates and maintains the credibility of each programme’s objective.
- Fiscal management: Allocate the budget to ensure that the organization is sustainable and help raise resources for its growth.The Dean reports to the Board of Directors and works closely with the academic and non-academic teams to fulfil the vision and mission of ISPP.
The Dean should have an excellent academic background and a proven capacity to work in the policy space. While no specific academic qualifications or age requirements are specified, the person should be able to command respect in academic circles and build partnerships with the government, business and public interest organisations. The Dean will need to be an institution builder, an effective and empathetic administrator and an advocate for strengthening policy capacity across samaaj, sarkaar and bazaar. This is an entrepreneurial role to build out a young institution.